Saturday 17 December 2011

Why?

I have a very good friend named Ben... almost a second dad.  He, like many others has developed a condition that is causing him to be unable to recall memories.  Faces, names and events flash through his mind and then are gone again... you can see the memory flash across his face, sparkle in his eyes or reflect in his smile... and then its gone.  I have more than one person in my life with this condition and as I watch them and chat with them I wonder what it must be like to struggle to remember.  I have mixed feelings when I think about living without the ability to remember... sometimes I wish I could wipe my mind clean ... I would sure feel better about myself.  Things just don't work that way you just don't get to pick and choose what you remember... you can act like you don't remember or ignore the memories and I've done both... but memories are more persistent than Jesus they just keep knocking until you open the door and invite them in.  I was talking to Ben awhile back and he was telling me how his dad won the horse shoeing world championship at the worlds fair in St. Louis in 1914 ... (I've seen the trophy) ...   Ben sat there for awhile and said "1914" ... and then again "1914"  and then the story faded and we just sat there in the presence of a good memory.   I thought "I should remember this."  Why should I remember this?  Because I can! ... I can still remember... I remember it all... Thank God I can still remember!  Let me tell you what I remember about Ben... and in his case I am honored to remember it for him.

I remember Ben leading the singing at the little church I was raised in Marble Hill Bible Chapel... he was my favorite... he would smile and laugh and wave his arm in time.   Ben has a great sense of humor and always has... always a joke or a look or a poke.  He was a salesman and his region was the state or Missouri where he sold office supplies of some kind to schools... he was on the road all the time... home every weekend unless he had to work northern Missouri... and always had a great story to tell about some character he met while traveling.   He loves sports and was a basketball coach at my old high school Woodland High... He was the first person that I knew who actually played golf. He once owned a 1959 Chevy Belair... Red... two door hardtop... If I close my eyes I can still see it parked beside his house in the yard.

Ben loved bird dogs and bird hunting...(quail)  he loved horses ... "Tennessee Walkers"  In my eyes he was, and still is, a great man.  He wasn't a real "handyman" but, he got the job done and I remember many times how my dad and he would team up and tackle some job when Ben needed a hand.  However, there is one memory that stands out in my mind about Ben.

Every summer  Ben would give me a ride to Bible camp in Tennessee... Mid-South Bible Camp in Montgomery Bell State Park and he would buy my meal... as a matter of fact he seemed to always buy your meal... he was so generous and he treated me like a son... (he would even flick my ears if I misbehaved in church)


Ben may not remember how wonderful a man he was and he wouldn't admit it if he did... but, I do.  There's one more thing about Ben I should tell and he still remembers... He loves his family.  He loves his daughter and his son and he is still very much in love with his wife... still takes her hand when they walk across the street... maybe its so he wont get lost but, I highly doubt it.

You see this is why memories and the stories and the people that fill them need to be Sanctified... My life has been full of men and women like Ben... my family, my friends ... new and old ... and no matter what has happened they all have good memories attached to them... Pain or change or separation should never be allowed to rob, discolor or negate the memories... These articles that are stored in our minds need to be picked up from time to time and dusted off... brought out into the light and celebrated every once in awhile.  There in there for a reason... and when you think of one or tell one or laugh at one you bring honor to those who where there... you show respect and give life a nod of approval ...  "Sanctified Memories"

JEQ

3 comments:

  1. Great idea...I'll check in regularly to revisit with you those sactified memories. Losing my mom this year has made me realize how important memories are...and if we don't make an effort to recall them, they escape us quickly. God has given you a full life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, Jesse. I'm in with Grandma Black. I am total agreement with writing out your memories. One of the most oft words of the Bible is "remember" and with good reason. Memories keep hope alive and writing them serves to inspire others, who may need a word of encouragement, like you just did for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jesse,I think it is a great idea. I can visualize those memories with you having had the privelege of knowing Ben also. If we don't look back we forget sometimes how many blessings we were given. I don't think we appreciate those things/people as we live the daily experience. Maybe looking at those aspects of our past will give us the wisdom to appreciate our todays.
    I will watch for more memories.
    Love You Brother,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete